Black Dinner Recipe
Cyrilla Nunez has worked for Ms. Marie Sharp for more than fifteen years.
Here is a WRITTEN Chimole recipe from Marty!
1/2 Block of Black Recado
1 Chicken (cut into parts)
6 Apazote leaves
2 Tomatoes (diced)
2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
3 to 4 fresh tomatoes
1/2 Onion (sliced)
3 cloves Garlic (Mashed)
Salt and Pepper
6 boiled eggs
Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown in a hot pot with little oil.
Once browned add enough water to cover the chicken and then add onions and garlic.
Simmer for 30 minutes.
Dissolve recado and tomato paste and add to the chicken.
Add the diced tomatoes and apazote leaves. Add more water if necessary.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Served hot with boiled eggs and corn tortillas
Chimole, also know as “Black Dinner” is a tasty black colored soup with roots in Mayan and Mestizo cultures but enjoyed by all in Belize.
1 Whole Chicken
4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 bouillon cubes
2 large whole cloves
4 large whole all spice
1 T Black Peppercorns
1 T dried Mexican Oregano
1/2 t cumin seeds
1/2 T to 1 T red pepper (depends on how much heat you want)
2 T red recado
5 T black recado
3 large tomatoes or 5 Romas, chopped
1 chayote, chopped
1 small pumpkin squash, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 small red potatoes or 1 large white potato
6 boiled eggs
Many corn tortillas
1. Put washed chicken in stock pot and fill with water until chicken covered. Add salt, garlic, and bouillon cubes. Turn heat on to boil.
2. While waiting for chicken to boil, in spice mill or coffee grinder put whole cloves, whole all spice, black peppercorns, dried Mexican oregano, red pepper and cumin seeds. Grind until it becomes a powdery substance. Once all ground add to 1/2 cup of water and stir until completely dissolved. Once dissolved put in pot with chicken.
3. Place red recado and black recado in bowl with 1 cup of water. Using your fingers dissolve the recados in to the water. Once dissolved add to stock pot and stir.
4. Wait until chicken is cooked then add all of the vegetables. Once all of the vegetables are soft it is ready to be served.
5. Scoop out chicken, vegetables, and broth, and put in bowl. Add a peeled boiled egg to the soup. Warm the tortillas and enjoy your soup.