Welcome to our culinary adventure through the vibrant and flavorful cuisine of Belize! Today, we're diving deep into the heart of Belizean street food with a recipe that will transport your taste buds straight to the bustling markets and beachside stalls of this Central American paradise. Introducing Belizean Salbutes, a mouthwatering treat that combines crispy fried masa dough with an array of savory toppings, creating a symphony of textures and tastes that capture the essence of Belize's rich culinary heritage. Join us on this delicious journey as we explore the history, ingredients, and step-by-step instructions to recreate these delectable morsels in your own kitchen. Get ready to savor the flavors of Belize like never before!
Belizean Salbutes with Marie Sharp’s Original Hot Habanero Pepper Sauce
- 2 cup masa harina
- 1 tablespoon achiote paste
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil for frying
- ½ shredded red cabbage
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
1 tablespoon Marie Sharp’s Original Hot Habanero Pepper Sauce
- ¼ bunch chopped cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Shredded chicken (we use leftover stew chicken)
- Sliced radishes
- Sliced jalapenos
Red cabbage slaw
- In a large bowl, combine the masa harina, salt and baking powder.
- Dissolve the achiote paste in ¼ cup of water. Add the achiote mixture and the additional 1 ¼ c water to the masa harina.
- Knead the dough for about two minutes. If it appears too crumbly, add water one tablespoon at a time.
- Divide the dough into balls using approximately 1-2 tablespoons of dough for each. Flatten using a tortilla press. If you don't have a tortilla press, you can place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper and either roll out with a rolling pin or press down with something heavy.
- Heat approximately 1 inch of vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook each salbute for about 1 munute on each side or until golden. Make sure not to let them get too crispy or they'll be tough. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
- Top with shredded chicken, cabbage
slaw and your favorite ingredients.