Warm soup is pure comfort in the cold winter months. We made our kale and mushroom soup extra toasty with Marie's Green Nopal (cactus) hot sauce.
Kale and Mushroom Soup with Marie Sharp’s Green Nopal Habanero Pepper Sauce
- 2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 1½ pound mixed mushrooms (8 oz cremini, 8 oz shiitake, and 8 oz oyster) sliced
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoon A.P. flour
- 3 cup whole milk
- 5 cup vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed rosemary
3 tablespoon Marie Sharp’s Green Habanero Pepper Sauce
- 3 russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 8 ounces curly kale chopped
- Heat the neutral oil in a large soup pot over medium heat until very hot. Add the diced onion and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until very well-browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic and butter and cook for 45 seconds until the garlic is fragrant and the butter is melted and frothy.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and toss to coat. Cook, stirring regularly, for 1-3 minutes.
- Add the milk to the flour, in ½ cup increments, whisking after each addition until all the milk has been added. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the stock into the soup and season with thyme, crushed red pepper, rosemary, and Marie Sharp’s Green Habanero Pepper Sauce. Bring to a very low boil and add the potatoes. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are almost fork-tender. Taste and season again.
- Add the kale to the soup and stir to incorporate. Cook for 10 minutes until tender. Turn off the heat.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and
garnish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, if desired. Enjoy.