Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish consisting of mashed potatoes with cabbage or kale. Our version introduces a bit of heat with Marie's Original Hot flavor. We're pretty sure that if the ancient Irish had voyaged to Belize, hot sauce would have been a traditional ingredient as well.
Colcannon with Marie Sharp’s Original Hot Habanero Pepper Sauce
- 4 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 6 tablespoons butter, plus more for serving
- 3 cups lightly packed chopped kale
- ½ cup green onions, minced
2 tablespoons Marie Sharp’s Original Hot Habanero Pepper Sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Put the potatoes in a medium pot and cover with cold water by at least an inch. Add 2 tablespoons of salt, and bring to a boil.
- Boil until the potatoes are fork tender, 15 to 20 minutes then drain.
- Return the pot to the stove and set over medium-high heat. Melt the butter in the pot and once it's hot, add the greens.
- Cook the greens for 3-4 minutes, or until they are wilted and have given off some of their water.
- Add the green onions and cook 1 minute more. Then add the hot sauce.
- Pour in the cream, mix well, and add the potatoes. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Use a fork or potato masher and mash the potatoes, mixing them up with the greens.
- Add salt to taste and serve hot, with a knob of butter in
the center and additional hot sauce.