Calamari with an exciting twist. I don't know about you, but fried calamari is the same old, same old everywhere you go. Restaurants should take note of this creative version.
Buttermilk Marinated Calamari with Cherry Peppers and Portobellos Tossed in Spicy Balsamic Butter
- 1 pound Calamari rings and tentacles
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Sliced cherry peppers
- 1 cup sliced roasted portobella mushrooms
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 2 cup AP flour
- Tabletop Fryer with Canola oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- ½ cup melted butter
- 3 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
1 teaspoon Marie Sharp’s Original Hot Habanero Pepper Sauce
- Pre-heat fryer to 375°.
- Place the first four ingredients in a bowl and allow to marinate for 10-20 minutes.
- Combine the flours in a separate bowl and mix well.
- Before frying, place all balsamic butter sauce ingredients in a large sauté pan and keep warm on low heat.
- Working in two batches, place half of the calamari mix into the flour bowl and toss vigorously to evenly coat everything using your hands to separate the tentacles and tubes.
- Using the fryer basket over the flour bowl, sift the calamari until excess flour is removed.
- Deep fry for about 5 minutes until light brown and crispy, then toss in the Balsamic butter mixture.
- Working quickly, fry the second half the same way as the first.
- Gently toss all calamari in the
Balsamic butter and serve immediately.