Succotash pairs wonderfully with nearly any entrée. Try our succotash recipe made with a medley of healthy veggies and all natural Belizean Heat Habanero Pepper Sauce.
Belizean Succotash with Okra
Although succotash has Native American roots dating back to the 1600s, you'll taste the flavors of the Caribbean with the addition of Marie's Belizean Heat.
- 10 ounces fresh baby lima beans (2 cups)
- 4 bacon slices
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup fresh okra, cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
3 tablespoons Marie Sharp’s Belizean Heat Habanero Pepper Sauce
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Place lima beans in a medium saucepan, and add water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce to medium-low, and simmer until beans are just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- While beans simmer, place bacon slices in a large cast iron skillet over medium. Cook until crisp, about 8 minutes, turning once after 5 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Crumble and set aside. Reserve drippings in skillet.
- Add chopped onion, fresh okra, and garlic to skillet over medium, and cook, stirring often, until onion is just tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in fresh corn kernels, salt, pepper, and drained beans, and cook, stirring often, until corn is tender and bright yellow, 5 to 6 minutes. Add butter, and cook, stirring constantly, until butter is melted, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in halved cherry tomatoes,
hot sauce, and sliced basil. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon, and serve